Hiring a chimney professional

In checking your chimney, a chimney professional can check all of the visible components of the chimney for damage, needed maintenance, and fire safety. A chimney professional is trained to look for dangerous or questionable conditions that a homeowner could easily miss.

Fix my fireplace so that it works again

Contributing Author

One of the most common questions I’m asked when on a service call comes from a homeowner who would just like to his fireplace without any problems.
Many homeowners have fireplaces that have never worked or that have been made inoperable over the years due to chimney fires, wood stove installations or changes in the interior or exterior of their homes.

A primary care physician - for your chimney?

Contributing Author

The public understands the importance of having a primary care physician.  Now the public needs to be aware of the importance of having a primary care chimney doctor to annually inspect and clean when necessary any chimney in use with any heating device. The public is careful choosing its primary care physician.  That same care should be used to choose their primary care chimney doctor.

Pellet Appliance Diagnostics and Repair

Contributing Author

Hearth and Chimney technology has changed since “August West” first started advertising in Mother Earth News in the 1970s. Modern appliances are much more sensitive, have control boards, electronic circuitry and UL listing requirements. Today’s “modern sweep” needs to be part electrician, hold multiple licenses and wear multiple hats.

Chimney whisperer embraces sooty destiny

Oliver Beauchemin

“Looking at chimneys, in a sense, is like a mystery. I’m like the chimney whisperer. I try to be a detective and figure out why things aren’t working.”

Strategic Marketing for Chimney Sweeps

Contributing Author

We have been conditioned to market to the basic needs of our customers and provide a solution to those needs.  Statistics show this method works just fine for 80% of our clients.  What about the remaining 20%?

The Duty to Warn - part 4

Oliver Beauchemin

For all potential legal matters arising from a home’s condition and any associated hazards, homeowners should check with their homeowner’s insurance carrier to understand their obligations and liability.

The Duty to Warn - part 3

Oliver Beauchemin

Inspectors should bear in mind that they serve as a licensee of the homeowner when it comes to their own duty to warn. If there is an imminent danger or hazard that can cause physical injury, the obligation to warn those who may be harmed outweighs any confidentiality they owe their client.

The Duty to Warn - part 2

Oliver Beauchemin

The duty to warn and a seller’s disclosure address different legal concerns but the types of potential hazards they cover can overlap considerably. While a duty to warn is designed to prevent physical injury (and subsequent legal action and damages), a seller’s disclosure is designed primarily to address a home’s value, both its selling price and its resale value.

The Duty to Warn - part 1

Oliver Beauchemin

Many inspectors consider it their ethical and even moral duty to disclose to all relevant parties any imminent hazards they discover in the course of an inspection. Some inspectors are required by their state’s licensing authority to report emergent hazards on pain of license revocation, especially if such hazards may result in physical injury. But inspectors don’t bear this burden alone. The obligation of disclosure also falls to the property owner.

Top-Hat Moment

2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc. David Pixley

Who knew this special “top-hat moment” would turn into a 2nd Generation Legend? Growing up around chimney cleaning all his life gave David Pixley a special and unique knowledge and understanding of the trade, clearly an advantage like nothing else could have. By default, he gained first-hand experience by being able to learn from the best in the industry! As you would expect, 2nd Generation Chimneys, Inc. assists local residential and commercial customers with their chimney cleaning, inspection and repair needs with safety as their first priority.

Page 3 of 6    < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
Smoke Signals: Have a question about your chimney?